The window depicts St. Paul as an old bearded man in full frontal position, writing with a quill on a tablet. He is shown with no attributes.
This was the first window installed in the sanctuary. Paul is sometimes referred to as the “Missionary to the Gentiles,” which may explain why he was the first figure chosen to be depicted in Judson Church, to which missionary work was of high significance.
The inscription, which appears in the roundel below the figure, in the ventilator panel, reads, “PAUL / A SERVANT OF / JESUS CHRIST / ROM 1:1”. The verse refers to Paul’s introductions of himself in his epistle to the Romans.
The window is dedicated to Rev. Dr William Hague. The inscription has faded or been washed from the window, but its shadow is still legible in the upper border of the window. It reads, “IN MEMORY OF” in the pink border, and in the green border below, “1808 WILLIAM HAGUE 1883”.
The installation of this window was noted in the New York Herald on October 31, 1892.1 The name of the commemorated individual is in error in this article, however, it hives his first name as Edward, rather than William.
Two sketches for the window exist. One shows the whole window, the other just the figure.2
© 1995, Julie L. Sloan, used with permission
- “Hague Memorial Window,” New York Herald (October 31, 1892), p. 5 Clipping generously provided by the La Farge Catalogue Raisonné.
- Both are in the collection of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.